Document Type : Research Paper
Assistant Professor of Motor Behavior, Kharazmi University of Tehran
Ph.D. Student in Motor Learning, Kharazmi University of Tehran
Professor of Motor Behavior, Kharazmi University of Tehran
The purpose of this study was to compare the effect of 8weeks aerobic activity (closed skill) in a stable and predictable environment and soccer training (open skill) unpredictable and variable environment on the levels of brain-derived neurotrophic factor in recovered addicts. The research design was pre-test and post-test with control group. 45 males who addicted were the main subject matter of the methamphetamine, were randomly assigned to aerobic training, soccer practice and control groups.values brain-derived neurotrophic factor was measured before and after the end of the intervention. One-way covariance analysis was used for inter-group comparisons and the data were analyzed using SPPS version 24. The results of this study showed that eight weeks of aerobic training and soccer practice significantly increased the serum levels of brain-derived neurotrophic factor in recovered addicts compared to the control group (P <0.05). Also, there was a significant difference between the two groups of football practice and aerobic training by controlling the pre-test values between the post-test values for the benefit soccer training group (P <0.05). In general, according to the results of this study, aerobic activity and soccer training have been shown to increase levels of brain-derived neurotrophic factor in people with addiction to stimulants, and these exercises training, especially soccer training can be utilized to improve the disrupted levels of brain-derived neurotrophic factor in recovered addicts.
- Velasquez MM, Crouch C, Stephens NS, DiClemente CC. Group treatment for substance abuse: A stages-of-change therapy manual. New York : Guilford Publications; 2015. p. 6-10
- Yan Y, Nabeshima T. Mouse model of relapse to the abuse of drugs: Procedural considerations and characterizations.BBR. 2009;196(1):1-10.
- Pates R, Riley D. Interventions for amphetamine misuse. chichester : John Wiley & Sons; 2009. p. 27- 30
- Chen PH, Huang MC, Lai YC, Chen PY, Liu HC. Serum brain‐derived neurotrophic factor levels were reduced during methamphetamine early withdrawal. Addiction biology. 2014;19(3):482-5.
- Volkow N, Chang L, Wang G. Low level of brain dopamine D2 receptors in methamphetamine abusers: Assocation with metabolism in the orbitofrontal cortex. Year Book of Psychiatry & Applied Mental Health. 2003;2003(1):305-6.
- Rippeth JD, Heaton RK, Carey CL, Marcotte TD, Moore DJ, Gonzalez R, et al. Methamphetamine dependence increases risk of neuropsychological impairment in HIV infected persons. INS. 2004;10(1):1-14.
- Angelucci F, Ricci V, Spalletta G, Caltagirone C, Mathe AA, Bria P. Effects of psychostimulants on neurotrophins: implications for psychostimulant-induced neurotoxicity. INS. 2009;88:1-24.
- Huang EJ, Reichardt LF. Trk receptors: Roles in neuronal signal transduction. Annual review of biochemistry. 2003;72(1):609-42.
- J Allen S, J Watson J, Dawbarn D. The neurotrophins and their role in Alzheimer's disease. Current neuropharmacology. 2011;9(4):559-73.
- McGough NN, He D-Y, Logrip ML, Jeanblanc J, Phamluong K, Luong K, et al. RACK1 and brain-derived neurotrophic factor: A homeostatic pathway that regulates alcohol addiction. JON. 2004;24(46):10542-52.
- Matsushita S, Kimura M, Miyakawa T, Yoshino A, Murayama M, Masaki T, et al. Association study of brain‐derived neurotrophic factor gene polymorphism and alcoholism. Alcoholism:ISBRA. 2004;28(11):1609-12.
- Van Hoomissen JD, Chambliss HO, Holmes PV, Dishman RK. Effects of chronic exercise and imipramine on mRNA for BDNF after olfactory bulbectomy in rat. JBR. 2003;974(1-2):228-35.
- Ren W, Tao J, Wei Y, Su H, Zhang J, Xie Y, et al. Time-dependent serum brain-derived neurotrophic factor decline during methamphetamine withdrawal. Medicine. 2016;95(5): 2604.
- Kim D-J, Roh S, Kim Y, Yoon S-J, Lee H-K, Han C-S, et al. High concentrations of plasma brain-derived neurotrophic factor in methamphetamine users. Neuroscience letters. 2005;388(2):112-5.
- Zoladz J, Pilc A, Majerczak J, Grandys M, Zapart-Bukowska J, Duda K. Endurance training increases plasma brain-derived neurotrophic factor concentration in young healthy men.JPP. 2008;59(Suppl 7):119-32.
- Wu A, Ying Z, Gomez-Pinilla F. Docosahexaenoic acid dietary supplementation enhances the effects of exercise on synaptic plasticity and cognition. Neuroscience. 2008;155(3):751-9.
- Knipper M, da Penha Berzaghi M, Blöchl A, Breer H, Thoenen H, Lindholm D. Positive feedback between acetylcholine and the neurotrophins nerve growth factor and brain‐derived neurotrophic factor in the rat hippocampus. EJN. 1994; 6(4): 668-71.
- Yarrow JF, White LJ, McCoy SC, Borst SE. Training augments resistance exercise induced elevation of circulating brain derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF). NL. 2010;479(2):161-5.
- Swift DL, Johannsen NM, Myers VH, Earnest CP, Smits JA, Blair SN, et al. The effect of exercise training modality on serum brain derived neurotrophic factor levels in individuals with type 2 diabetes. PLOS 2012;7(8):e42785.
- Huang A, Jen C, Chen H, Yu L, Kuo Y, Chen H-I. Compulsive exercise acutely upregulates rat hippocampal brain-derived neurotrophic factor. JNT. 2006;113(7):803-11.
- Hung C-L, Tseng J-W, Chao H-H, Hung T-M, Wang H-S. Effect of acute exercise mode on serum brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) and task switching performance. JCM. 2018;7(10):301.
- Di Russo F, Bultrini A, Brunelli S, Delussu AS, Polidori L, Taddei F, et al. Benefits of sports participation for executive function in disabled athletes. JON. 2010;27(12):2309-19.
- Huijgen BC, Leemhuis S, Kok NM, Verburgh L, Oosterlaan J, Elferink-Gemser MT, et al. Cognitive functions in elite and sub-elite youth soccer players aged 13 to 17 years. PLOS. 2015;10(12):e0144580.
- Griffin ÉW, Mullally S, Foley C, Warmington SA, O'Mara SM, Kelly ÁM. Aerobic exercise improves hippocampal function and increases BDNF in the serum of young adult males. Physiology & behavior. 2011;104(5):934-41.
- Cao L, Liu X, Lin E-JD, Wang C, Choi EY, Riban V, et al. Environmental and genetic activation of a brain-adipocyte BDNF/leptin axis causes cancer remission and inhibition. Cell. 2010;142(1):52-64.
- Tranter LJ, Koutstaal W. Age and flexible thinking: An experimental demonstration of the beneficial effects of increased cognitively stimulating activity on fluid intelligence in healthy older adults. Aging, Neuropsychology, and Cognition. 2008;15(2):184-207.
- Maguire EA, Gadian DG, Johnsrude IS, Good CD, Ashburner J, Frackowiak RS, et al. Navigation-related structural change in the hippocampi of taxi drivers. PNAS. 2000;97(8):4398-403.
- Barker JM, Taylor JR, De Vries TJ, Peters J. Brain-derived neurotrophic factor and addiction: Pathological versus therapeutic effects on drug seeking. Brain research. 2015;1628:68-81.
- Brown RA, Abrantes AM, Read JP, Marcus BH, Jakicic J, Strong DR, et al. A pilot study of aerobic exercise as an adjunctive treatment for drug dependence.MHPA. 2010;3(1):27-34.
- Banitalebi E, Faramarzi M, Marandi M, Azamian-Jazi A, Mohammadi B. Effect of exercise on heart risk factors of addicted persons after one year of quitting drugs. HMS. 2010;15(4):16-23.
- Medicine ACoS. Guidelines for exercise testing and prescription. philadelphia : Williams & Wilkins; 1991. p. 253- 256
- Tehrani H, Shojaei M, Daneshfar A. Effects of exercise training disorders in male cured addicts. EJEB. 2013;3(1):42-6.
- Wang D, Zhu T, Zhou C, Chang Y-K. Aerobic exercise training ameliorates craving and inhibitory control in methamphetamine dependencies: A randomized controlled trial and event-related potential study. PSE 2017;30:82-90.
- Tang SW, Chu E, Hui T, Helmeste D, Law C. Influence of exercise on serum brain-derived neurotrophic factor concentrations in healthy human subjects. NL. 2008;431(1):62-5.
- Berchtold N, Chinn G, Chou M, Kesslak J, Cotman C. Exercise primes a molecular memory for brain-derived neurotrophic factor protein induction in the rat hippocampus. Neuroscience. 2005;133(3):853-61.
- Ruscheweyh R, Willemer C, Krüger K, Duning T, Warnecke T, Sommer J, et al. Physical activity and memory functions: an interventional study. NOA. 2011;32(7):1304-19.
- Nascimento CMC, Pereira JR, Pires de Andrade L, Garuffi M, Ayan C, Kerr DS, et al. Physical exercise improves peripheral BDNF levels and cognitive functions in mild cognitive impairment elderly with different bdnf Val66Met genotypes. JAD. 2015;43(1):81-91.
- Vosadi E, Ravasi AA, Choobine S, Barzegar H, Borjianfard M. Effect of endurance training and omega-3 supplementation in brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) in male adult rat hippocampus. RJMS. 2013;20(111):50-7.
- Rasmussen P, Brassard P, Adser H, Pedersen MV, Leick L, Hart E, et al. Evidence for a release of brain‐derived neurotrophic factor from the brain during exercise. EP. 2009;94(10):1062-9.
- Wrann CD, White JP, Salogiannnis J, Laznik-Bogoslavski D, Wu J, Ma D, et al. Exercise induces hippocampal BDNF through a PGC-1α/FNDC5 pathway. CM. 2013;18(5):649-59.